11.28.2012

The Story/Book-Laura and John

I'm excited to introduce our Story/Book couple for today. Laura and John (code names Topsy and Havoc) make my day whenever I read their blog. Laura has a pithy writing style-which is a nice diversion from my loquaciousness; I read Topsy and Havoc the way some people lust after Swedish decor--maximalists wanting to live in a minimalist's world.

I keep hoping to bump into Laura and John (not so casually) at the local grocery store since we're practically small town neighbors. When we went to Bijou Market a few weekends ago the only thing that actually kept Nick's interest were John's hilarious and somewhat controversial cards. The first one here is Nick's favorite. Basically, Laura and John are the kind of quirky people you need to blog-stalk, not the least because his code name is shared by a Marvel Comics character. ( In case you didn't know, I'm a huge nerd, I love X-men comics. I've been reading them since I was 11. No offense to DC, but I'm a Marvel Girl through and through.) *Cyber high five if anyone got the Jean Grey reference.

Thanks Laura and John, for being a part of The Story/Book.
The Story~
Him: I grew up in a house with a huge book case and I loved participating in the public library's Summer Reading Program for prizes. I also had a bachelor neighbor whose entire house was a library and he gifted our family a book every couple months throughout my childhood. My imagination did a better job with the words I read than Hollywood could ever do on the big screen.

Her: I started reading consistently only a few years ago. We lived in Virginia for a year and when we first moved there I was pretty lonely. We lived across the street from the public library, so I got a list of recommendations from my mom and checked out a bunch of books. The characters I read about became my friends and reading and I have been pretty tight ever since. 

The Book~
His: Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli. It's like a perfect mix between The Book Thief and Maniac Magee. In a nutshell, it's about a street urchin's first hand understanding of WWII, which is both humorous and emotional. 

Her: A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. Read this book. It's an easy read, and it's hilarious. You'll be done in no time and ready for the sequel- She Got Up Off The Couch. 

Other Recommendations~
His: Anything by H.P. Lovecraft (Fantasy Horror), Bonds that Make Us Free C. Terry Warner, The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas.

Hers: The Book Thief Markus Zusak, These Is My Words Nancy Turner, Fingerprints of God Barbara Hagerty.

Thanks Laura and John, for being a part of The Story/Book.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! It was a fun guest post to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ps. Since we are small town neighbors let's meet up sometime!! I'd love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these guys. And books, so win win!

    now I want to check out a girl named zippy asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all those books! Those two cats are cool too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your nice words. I appreciate them so much.