11.27.2012

food glorious food

Fall to winter is a curious time of yummy carb goodness with little to no thought of summer or its lack of layers. This is one of my favorite go-to dishes because it's easy and stuffed full of veggies. You see, I'm still a very small child who needs to be tricked into eating her vegetables by sprinkling them with red peppers and olive oil. This recipe includes bacon but feel free to omit it if you eat vegetarian. On an unrelated note: we didn't have a single pie for Thanksgiving and now I fear that I might be forced to make one just for Nick and I. And maybe some sugar cookies for the upcoming Christmas season. And maybe some chocolate chip cookies and brownies for good measure. Get in my belly!

Broccoli Cauliflower Spinach Pasta
   
-broccoli
-cauliflower
-spinach
-pasta (tinkyada brown rice spaghetti is my favorite)
-bacon
-red pepper flakes

This is a very loose recipe based on one that I found awhile ago. Cut up some fresh broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Start cooking your pasta and once you have 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your florets) of cooking time left add your cauliflower. 5 minutes before the pasta is done add the broccoli. In another pan cook your bacon. Set the bacon aside. Use the bacon grease and or some olive oil to sauté the spinach. When the spinach leaves are wilted add the drained pasta into the pan. Add olive oil as needed and season with salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Serve with bacon crumbled on top. (Or not.)

1 comment:

  1. yesss. those carbs are contributing to our winter coats. we wouldn't want to freeze in inclement weather this season!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your nice words. I appreciate them so much.