5.09.2012

The Story/Book

I'm starting a feature called The Story/Book.
I hope that it'll be an interesting way to bring different bibliophiles and bloggers to your attention and a fun way to find new books to read, because as Martin Tupper said, "A good book is the best of friends, the same to-day and for ever."
The column will feature a different blogger each week and I'll include a short background about them and their favorite book, and their other literary recommendations.
I've been thinking about what feature would be a good fit for a while now and this feels right.

Nick and I will go first by telling you about how we met and fell in love with each other and Fire and Hemlock.
The Story~
We met over dinner, but not in a date way.When Nick first asked me to do something with him I turned him down because I was legitimately busy but I was also thinking he was one of those kind of guys (fill in your own stereotype here.) When we finally had a  couple of conversations he turned out to be pretty much the opposite of what I had first thought and by then I was hoping he would ask me out.

Our first date we were supposed to go hiking but the weatherman said it was going to storm so we went to a sheep and wool festival instead.
Nick later told me that one of the things that drew him to me was that I was intelligent, and that we could have deep conversations and that I read so much. He said, "I liked how you always had your nose in a book."
Nick proposed by giving me a first edition of my favorite book, Fire and Hemlock, which he had carved a slot into for my ring with help from my friend, Travis. It was so romantic and perfect. We spent the rest of that week reading Fire and Hemlock out loud together.

The Book~
I first fell in love with Fire and Hemlock when I was in high school. I have a habit of reading all of the books of authors that I like, and Fire and Hemlock is by one of my favorite authors, Diana Wynne Jones.

It's a story of a girl named Polly who at nineteen realizes that she has two sets of memories and tries to figure out which ones are real. It's not the easiest book to follow but it's funny, magical, and spot on about so many real-life things. Polly is exactly how I wished that I was growing up.

Other Recommendations~
His: Pastwatch Orson Scott Card, Never Let Me Go Kazuo Ishiguro, Frankenstein Mary Shelley
Hers: The Blue Sword Robin McKinley, Stargirl Jerry Spinelli, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a nice idea for a feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One: So precious! And I'm glad to see he didn't ruin the whole book by carving out the middle.
    Two: I haven't read a ton of her stuff, but Diana Wynn Jones is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your nice words. I appreciate them so much.